Dental Implant FAQs
Mr Gary Moynes BDS. MSc Implant Dent. is on hand to answer any queries you have about dental implants and how we’ll take care of you at The New Tooth Company. Take a look at previous questions we have been asked as they may provide the answers you are looking for.
However if anything is not covered please leave your question in the form below and we will get back to you within 24 hours.
1. Will it hurt?
No, the treatment is carried out using a local anaesthetic and the procedures are carried out gently. After treatment pain relief will be given so that you will experience minimal post- operative pain.
2. How do you manage to be so much cheaper?
- Our team only carry out dental implant treatments and our centre is specifically designed for the treatments we provide. Our implant surgeons place large numbers of dental implants and are very skilled at this particular speciality. This enables us to increase the numbers of implants we place.
- Whilst we do not make the large profits on dental implant treatments other dentists do, our aim is to provide dental implants in an affordable way so more people can benefit from this advanced option.
- Having all the treatment carried out at our purpose designed clinics means we are able to make cost savings in many areas and pass these on to our customers.
- We use a proven dental implant system called Adin. Over 30,000 Adin implants are placed every month worldwide. Due to the large numbers of implants placed we are able to negotiate better prices so we can pass on these savings to our customers.
3. Are there other costs you haven’t mentioned?
Other costs may apply if additional procedures were found to be required, for example, bone grafting if there is insufficient bone for implants. Following your initial consultation a detailed treatment plan will be provided outlining all costs prior to you deciding whether to proceed with treatment.
4. Does cheap mean a lesser service?
At The New Tooth Company we offer affordable implant treatments for our patients. We aim to provide an excellent patient experience along with the highest standards of clinical care.
5. I have heard horror stories and seen people having to have implants redone. How can you assure me that won’t happen?
All of our implant dentists are highly trained and work using established surgical and restorative protocols. Whilst occasionally a dental implant may not bond to bone following placement, this is rare and can be easily rectified.
6. My dentist has suggested I consider an implant do I need to be referred to you?
No you can simply make an appointment for a Free consultation with us and you can continue to see your regular dentist for the maintenance of your other teeth.
7. Can you tell me how long it will take to recover?
Individual patients’ recover at differing rates, but following most implant surgeries recovery is around two days. Larger grafting procedures may take about one weeks’ recovery.
8. Will I need a local or general anaesthetic?
All implant procedures can be carried out using local anaesthetic, with or without sedation. You will not require a general anaesthetic.
9. Will I need any maintenance following the implant?
All dental restorations require continuing maintenance. All implant patients must keep their implants clean and attend their regular dentist or hygienist for cleaning and advice.
10. How long does the procedure take?
The placement of dental implants takes from one to two hours, depending on the number being placed and the complexity of the case.
11. I need more than one implant – would you do them all in one go?
Generally we would place all of your implants in one session.
12. Will I set off metal detectors at airports?
A commonly asked question! No, dental implants do not set off scanners at airports.
13. I am currently four months pregnant, can I have the treatment?
We would recommend the delaying of dental implant treatment until after your baby is born.
14. Will the implant discolour in a different way to my own teeth?
Implant crowns are made of bonded ceramic and do not change colour. Over time, the surrounding natural teeth may change colour, but the implant crowns will remain their original colour.
15. Can you match the implant colour to my teeth?
We take shades of your other teeth and match them.
16. Will it be obvious that I have implants?
Dental implants provide a natural appearance and cannot usually be distinguished from the rest of your teeth.
17. I have no teeth at all, do I have to have two full sets of teeth implanted?
There are various ways of replacing teeth for people in this situation. I recommend a consultation to discuss the options available to you.
18. I am 83 and I would love to have an implant, to fill a gap, am I too old?
There is no age limit on implant dentistry. Your general health and bone availability are the main factors in deciding if someone is suitable for dental implants.